They're just beautiful.
Psalm 72:12-14
For he delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper. He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy. From oppression and violence he redeems their life, and precious is their blood in his sight.
Sometimes I learn things about the children here that make my heart hurt. Literally. One of the children’s homes has four new additions and they are precious children. Absolutely precious. But they come with a troubled past. One that I wish I could literally erase with an eraser from their memories so they could never look back on those memories again. But I can’t. That’s the way it is to be, and the Lord will have to heal their hearts, souls, minds and little bodies.
The little seven-year-old girl is absolutely beautiful, and she has an outgoing, loving spirit. The moment I introduced myself to her we were friends, and she has latched on to me ever since. She is very trusting for a girl who has endured what she has. And, oh, has she endured a lot in her seven years. But I pray that this will be a turning point of healing in her life. She is in a wonderful house with house parents that will love her and take very good care of her. They will take good care of all of those children and love them until they leave that home. And she has people praying for her salvation. Daily.
I’ve had a lot of very sweet days with the children this past week. While the teams were here we didn’t get a lot of time to be with the children like we would during a normal week. We’ve had a lot of time to catch up with the kids and spend a lot of time with them, which has been such a balm to my heart. Last Thursday we dyed Easter eggs with them then had a big Easter egg hunt! I was at the project all day and had so much fun with the kids that day. I really do fall in love with them more and more ever time I’m with them. The way they love is beautiful, without thought or expectation. Because of them, I see more of what Jesus means when He says become like a young child in our faith.
On a different note, this past week was Semana Santa (Holy Week), which means that pretty much everyone got off work and took it easy for the holiday. It’s strange because that is just not something that would ever happen in the States. Ever. But it’s cool to be a part of the way they do things and see the traditions they have. For instance, they don’t eat any red meat or chicken during Semana Santa so we had some interesting fish dishes and other random things. Also, they eat a lot of arroz con leche, which happens to be one of my favorite desserts here so I was happy about that. I’m not really sure why they do some of the things they do, but I just go along with it and enjoy it!
Since it was Semana Santa, Rachel and I had a different workweek… we really didn’t work because everything was closed, including the daycare at the project. Monday we went shopping in downtown San Jose with one of the missionaries here, Johanna, and then we went to the beach Tuesday-Wednesday with Jonathan, Amy, Caia and Isaac! We went to Jacó beach, which is about 2 ish hours from where we live and it was a pretty nice beach. But boy, oh boy, was it hot. We had air-conditioning in our room, but the sun is super intense here, especially on the beach, so that made everything hotter. We are going again for the day with the team that is coming this coming week. Yay, bring on the sun ☺ (Don’t worry, Mom… I’m putting on lots of sunblock!)

Oh yeah... I road on a motorcycle for the first time ever... Sorry you're having to find out this way Mom! It was so scared I thought I was going to die. I almost cried I was so scared. I'll never do it again! Rachel and I both took turns and we went with our Tico brother David. It was definitely one for the books...

We have a team of high school students from a youth group in Georgia this week, and it’s the last team that will be here during my time. It’s strange… we only have 26 days left.
BY THE WAY – I FLY HOME APRIL 30.
I’m definitely excited to be home and see my family and friends, but I think my heart is going to break when I leave. You can be praying for that… I’m not really sure what to pray, but maybe you can pray that I would be able to say goodbye well and enjoy the next 26 days and not think about saying goodbye to these children that have become so precious to my heart.
Thanks for reading my blog everyone. I’m not really sure who everyone is, but thanks anyway! Feel free to comment and say hello so I know who’s reading!! (Just for curiosity sake I’d like to know ☺)
P.S. Sorry to all you who read these posts first... I often write these very fast and don't have time to edit them before I put them up (gasp)! I know... bad!
For he delivers the needy when he calls, the poor and him who has no helper. He has pity on the weak and the needy, and saves the lives of the needy. From oppression and violence he redeems their life, and precious is their blood in his sight.
Sometimes I learn things about the children here that make my heart hurt. Literally. One of the children’s homes has four new additions and they are precious children. Absolutely precious. But they come with a troubled past. One that I wish I could literally erase with an eraser from their memories so they could never look back on those memories again. But I can’t. That’s the way it is to be, and the Lord will have to heal their hearts, souls, minds and little bodies.
The little seven-year-old girl is absolutely beautiful, and she has an outgoing, loving spirit. The moment I introduced myself to her we were friends, and she has latched on to me ever since. She is very trusting for a girl who has endured what she has. And, oh, has she endured a lot in her seven years. But I pray that this will be a turning point of healing in her life. She is in a wonderful house with house parents that will love her and take very good care of her. They will take good care of all of those children and love them until they leave that home. And she has people praying for her salvation. Daily.
I’ve had a lot of very sweet days with the children this past week. While the teams were here we didn’t get a lot of time to be with the children like we would during a normal week. We’ve had a lot of time to catch up with the kids and spend a lot of time with them, which has been such a balm to my heart. Last Thursday we dyed Easter eggs with them then had a big Easter egg hunt! I was at the project all day and had so much fun with the kids that day. I really do fall in love with them more and more ever time I’m with them. The way they love is beautiful, without thought or expectation. Because of them, I see more of what Jesus means when He says become like a young child in our faith.
On a different note, this past week was Semana Santa (Holy Week), which means that pretty much everyone got off work and took it easy for the holiday. It’s strange because that is just not something that would ever happen in the States. Ever. But it’s cool to be a part of the way they do things and see the traditions they have. For instance, they don’t eat any red meat or chicken during Semana Santa so we had some interesting fish dishes and other random things. Also, they eat a lot of arroz con leche, which happens to be one of my favorite desserts here so I was happy about that. I’m not really sure why they do some of the things they do, but I just go along with it and enjoy it!
Since it was Semana Santa, Rachel and I had a different workweek… we really didn’t work because everything was closed, including the daycare at the project. Monday we went shopping in downtown San Jose with one of the missionaries here, Johanna, and then we went to the beach Tuesday-Wednesday with Jonathan, Amy, Caia and Isaac! We went to Jacó beach, which is about 2 ish hours from where we live and it was a pretty nice beach. But boy, oh boy, was it hot. We had air-conditioning in our room, but the sun is super intense here, especially on the beach, so that made everything hotter. We are going again for the day with the team that is coming this coming week. Yay, bring on the sun ☺ (Don’t worry, Mom… I’m putting on lots of sunblock!)
Oh yeah... I road on a motorcycle for the first time ever... Sorry you're having to find out this way Mom! It was so scared I thought I was going to die. I almost cried I was so scared. I'll never do it again! Rachel and I both took turns and we went with our Tico brother David. It was definitely one for the books...
We have a team of high school students from a youth group in Georgia this week, and it’s the last team that will be here during my time. It’s strange… we only have 26 days left.
BY THE WAY – I FLY HOME APRIL 30.
I’m definitely excited to be home and see my family and friends, but I think my heart is going to break when I leave. You can be praying for that… I’m not really sure what to pray, but maybe you can pray that I would be able to say goodbye well and enjoy the next 26 days and not think about saying goodbye to these children that have become so precious to my heart.
Thanks for reading my blog everyone. I’m not really sure who everyone is, but thanks anyway! Feel free to comment and say hello so I know who’s reading!! (Just for curiosity sake I’d like to know ☺)
P.S. Sorry to all you who read these posts first... I often write these very fast and don't have time to edit them before I put them up (gasp)! I know... bad!
"For instance, they don’t eat any red meat or children during Semana Santa so we had some interesting fish dishes and other random things."
ReplyDeleteWell I'm glad they spare the little children during Holy Week. ;)
I was gonna say....do they normally eat children? :)
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear from you Abby! I was in Spain right before Holy Week a couple of years ago, and all everybody could talk about was how they were getting off work, all the parades, etc. It was really interesting to learn all their traditions.
I know it will be hard for you to leave; I'll be praying for you. I for one am very excited about you coming back though! I need my Abby around these parts. Can't wait to see you!
Katie
LOL-ing. Literally. LOLLLLLL-ing.
ReplyDeleteAnd praying. Literally to that, too.
love you so much.
I've already been praying for your anticipating leaving and actually boarding that plane, and I will keep it up. Still praying for your language acquisition, too. Keep up the hard work; I'm so proud of you.
ReplyDeleteso...the children thing caught my eye too... :) But it sounds like you truly are having an amazing time...it's so neat to hear! i'll be praying for you as you continue to enjoy your time there, and trust God each and every day! love you so much!
ReplyDeleteCHICKEN NOT CHILDREN!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Abby. It is really nice to hear from someone who is being challenged and learning so many new things. It excites me and stimulates me to pursue God more intentionally. Thanks for blessing me in this way :)
ReplyDelete